Wednesday, September 30, 2009

MORE ANIMAL STUFF

We have previously discussed feral hogs and bee problems but we have by no means exhausted this subject. It has come to my attention that the batratia are also in trouble. We are told that the frog and toad population has declined precipitously and those that survive are likely to be deformed in variously horrid ways. I personally have not observed this. Indeed, we have numbers of chirping frogs in our own garden as well as an occasional toad and they seem perfectly healthy. ( One exception: one toad that I ran over with the lawn mower )
Now we are told that we are being overrun by deer. Someone took the time to count them and came up with 20,283,415 deer and that is only in Texas. Those Texas deer that I have seen are smallish but am told that they are edible. We Americans have become lazy. No more hunter gatherer types , we get our meat from the grocery store. How pathetic we all have become. Meanwhile, the deer population continues to grow and they are becomin ever more destructive.

6 comments:

Nancy Adams said...

I for one am happy that people are relying on the grocery store to get all their food!!!

We are overrun with deer in NC as well -- and they are more than a nuisance, they are a hazard! Those that do enjoy hunting have a bunch of regulations as to when and how they can hunt and how many they can catch. So as par for the course, the responsibility for the deer over-population PROBLEM lays squarely on the shoulders of the politicians that made all these rules.

amycue said...

I love learning this minutia from you - keep up the good work!

Holly said...

Always happy to see "ruminations" pop up on my blog reader. You are becoming quite the oracle on animal information.

Tom said...

It all begs the question... if deer are so prolific, why do we not have a trillion of them now? Why the overrun by them now, and it has not always been that way?
As usual... the answers have more to do with how our presence has modified by balance. Deer have predators... I suspect the problem is that most of their predators have been removed.. since predators are often a danger to people.

Adam said...

Hmmm... I would suggest nuking the deer. That would teach them to be prolific.

Great factoids on animals! I learned a lot from reading only a few short posts.

I'll see all you guys at Thanksgiving!

Julia Burnier said...

I was very sad to hear about the disappearing frogs, as I very much like frogs - you should see how many frog paraphernalia I have around the house (the result of telling Audrey some time ago that I like frogs). This past June, when I visited Judith in Maryland, we went for a walk and there were so many small leaping frogs that I'm afraid I killed some of them as I walked! So.. in Maryland at least, the frog population is healthy.

I think there are some species of frogs in South America that are literally disappearing. I read an article. Some virus, I think?